Raising California has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://raisingcalifornia.net
and update your bookmarks.

Welcome to Raising Califorina where you will be taken behind the scenes to peek at the lives of a Southern California family. You will have access to never before seen footage and exclusive interviews that will give you insight on what it is like to be a kid in California!


THE JOURNEY BEGINS HERE!

Raising Multilingual Children

First of all, let me just say that this is the personal opinion of L.A. Mama and an example of the choices that her family has made as a result of living in Southern California. This post is not intended to inflame, harm or offend anyone and it is not up for debate. There are other more appropriate blogs and forums to direct argumentative energies.

One of the reasons why we love Los Angeles and surrounding communities so much is because of the rich, cultural diversity that encompasses our everyday lives. According to Wikipedia, the greater Los Angeles area is home to 17,776,000 people from all over the world with more than 100 different languages being spoken. It isn't unusual on any given day in Los Angeles to hear Spanish, French, Italian, Armenian, Hebrew, Chinese, Korean, Japanese and Russian(and many other languages but these are the main ones that we hear)being spoken in the grocery store, bank, library and various other places. It is a beautiful thing and we feel very lucky to be a part of it.

Learning to speak Spanish is mandatory in L.A. Mama's house. Tennessee and California are both being taught Spanish and will continue Spanish instruction indefinitely. Each of them are also required to pick at least one other language to learn. California already speaks Hindu and Sanskrit as a part of his yoga routine, but when he gets older, he may want to choose a different language. Tennessee chose Greek and Italian.

How will they learn these languages you ask? L.A. Mama has had four years of Spanish so she will teach Spanish with supplements from BBC and PowerGlide. Greek and Italian will be through PowerGlide only. I have read that at least one parent must speak the languages with the child on a consistent basis, so guess who will be learning Greek and Italian!! Looks like California will learn Greek and Italian by default.

Why teach children foreign languages: 1)It connects them to the global community 2)They can communicate more effectively with others within their community and globally 3) It increases their IQ 4) It breaks down boundaries and divisions between cultures 5) It teaches them respect for others regardless of language, ethnicity and culture 6)It works towards a goal of oneness and solidarity of humankind...

Click HERE to check out PowerGlide and HERE to check out BBC!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Right on L.A. Mama! I don't see why anyone would want to even argue your point when it's a positive one. My son by default will learn Spanish as I am a fluent speaker as well as his baby sitter. His mom on the other hand is on the shorter end of that stick. As for other languages, I wish I had the time to learn so I could teach my son but I just dont have the time. But I applaud your effort!

L.A. Mama said...

We'll see what happens. I'll be happy if Spanish is spoken fluently in our household (although there are no native Spanish speakers in our house)...Greek and Italian can wait.

I can read and understand Spanish, but my conversational skills are HORRIBLE because I learned Spanish in a little town in the middle of the US and there was no one to speak Spanish to :(

Unknown said...

Well if you ever want to speak Spanish to me Im available! :)

L.A. Mama said...

Did you sign up for webcall? Here is the link:

http://help.blogger.com/bin/answer.py?answer=86338

There is a waiting list right now but I signed up...I thought it would be cool to hear my reader's comments instead of reading them. I wonder if you can delete it though afterwards...I need to delete things often...especially if I am speaking Spanish LOL!